Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 2. Favourite Photo.

I have already written about my favourite photograph, whilst taking part in the 52 Ancestors in 52 weeks in 2021. This was a photograph of 3 generations of my adoptive Grandad's family, His 2 sisters, his mother and one of her sisters and his Grandmother.

52 Ancestors, 52 weeks Week 4 Favourite photo (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)

So for this years theme, I thought I would share this photo from my adoptive Grandmother's family. I really like this photo as it is so much a photograph of it's time.
2023: Favourite Photo:

          HOLIDAYS IN MARGATE (1930's)



Margate- Chas and Dave 1983

chorus:- 
Down to Margate
Don't forget your buckets and spades and cossys and all
Down to Margate
We'll have our fill of jellied eels at the cockle stall
Down to Margate
We'll go on the pier, and we'll have a beer aside of the sea
Down to Margate
You can keep the Costa Brava, I'm telling ya, mate, I'd rather
Have a day down Margate with all me family.

written by Chas Hodges and Dave Peacock

This photo would have been taken in the early 1930's, (l to r) it shows my Nan, Doris Ruth Howe, her aunt, Emily Ethel Clutterbuck nee Howe, her cousin Violet Constance (Connie) Game and Emily's husband John (Jack) Clutterbuck. The young girl in the left hand corner of the photo, looking on to the 4 adults, I believe to be one of Emily and Jack's daughters, Emily or Edith.

My Mum states that this photo was taken on one of their annual holidays to Margate, they would go by train and stay in a Margate boarding house. Margate in Kent was a traditional holiday resort for Londoners, being drawn to it's sandy beaches.


Doris Ruth Howe 1908-2005

Doris was the eldest daughter of Charles William Howe 1876-1958 and the 2nd daughter of Ruth Shaw. Before her marriage to Frederick Samuel Carden, she worked is service to Mr and Mrs Crease. Doris and Fred married on Boxing Day 1935, by license, after a 7 year engagement.

Emily Ethel Clutterbuck (Em) nee Howe 1888-1981

Emily was the youngest sister of the above Charles William Howe, an aunt of Doris'. Born in Lampton a village that has now been engulfed by Heathrow Airport. She married John Clutterbuck in 1913 at Holy Trinity Church in Hounslow on July 13th 1913.  Their son, Stanley was born in the September of that year. The couple went on to have 2 further daughters but not for some years, Emily born in 1923 and Edith in 1925.  Emily had a long life and died in 1981 aged 93, 37 of those years were spent as a widow.

Violet Constance Game (Connie) 1910-?2007

Connie was born on 19th July 1910, the daughter of Alfred Henry James Game, who worked on the railways as a 'shunter' and Harriet Priscilla Howe. Connie was the cousin of Doris and niece of Emily. On 28th Sept 1935 she married Albert E Laws, a tiler by trade at St Mary the Virgin Bedfont, both being residents of Hatton, a small hamlet, part of East Bedfont and now situated on the perimeter of Heathrow airport. By 1939 they had moved a few miles to Feltham, they had 3 children, 1 son and 2 daughters, one of whom, Beryl died in infancy. Longevity appears to have been a family trait as like Doris and Emily, Connie lived into her 90's. She was still alive when my Nan died in 2005 and the most likely record match for her death is 2007, although I have not verified this.

John Clutterbuck (Jack) 1887-1944 

Jack was born on the 28th June 1887, the son of Alma Clutterbuck, a bricklayer.  Jack had various occupations, general labourer, gardener, coachman and working on the railway as a plate layer, maintaining the tracks, such as greasing the points and checking for wear and tear and damage. Sadly Jack died at a relatively young age, in 1944.

Middx Chronicle 14 Oct 1944



Another group photograph taken at Margate. From left to right:- Connie, Doris, Emma Carden nee May (Doris' future mother in law), Emily and Jack. The inclusion of Emma Carden, helps date these photo's to the early 1930's as she died in January 1936.


Albert Laws and Fred Carden










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 31. Favourite Name.

EUGENIE MARIA MARY CRETON JAY  The Affair: An 1875 engraving shows a man snooping on his wife as she meets with her lover …   This weeks theme is difficult, it is like picking a favourite child. I rather like my 2x Great Grandmother's middle and chosen name, Rosella, but I have already written about her in a previous post:  52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Mothers Day (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)   Incidently my mother said, if she had known the name before I was born she would have chosen it for me. I'm not sure how I would have felt about that as child/teenager. Another name that has drawn me over the years is Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley and whilst she had, in my opinion, a lovely name, she has an interesting story of her own to tell, I have already written her story:  Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley: Sister of Mercy (mypynthdev.blogspot.com) So who have I chosen for this weeks post? Well she does have a nice name, but I have for some reason been drawn to her, since starting my resea

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &