Skip to main content

52 Ancestors, 52 weeks Week 4 Favourite photo

3 GENERATIONS OF WOMEN

I am most fortunate to have had a wealth of paternal family photo's shared with me over the past 12 years. Each has been a joy to receive and certainly has offered colour to my research. Images of my half Great Uncle with his 12 children and their offspring, Vaudeville style pictures of my Great Aunt, images of my Grandfather as a boy, who so resembled my father at much the same age. Too many to choose from, so I have steered away from selecting one single image from these and instead chosen a photo from my mothers side of the family.

You may already have read that my mother was adopted, but whilst my father distanced himself from his family, I grew up with this 'adopted' family. Whilst not an ounce of their DNA flows through my veins, I like to believe that their beliefs, love and values have helped to establish the individual writing this blog. Perhaps a case of 'Nurture over Nature,' even though I only met one of the ladies in the photo, Elsie, it remains one of my favourite images.

 
Personal family photo belonging to author

The image shows 3 generations of ladies. Emma Carden nee May sat with her mother Ann May nee Mumford, with Emma's 2 eldest daughters, Elsie and Irene. The 2 ladies standing are 2 of Emma's sisters. They all hail from the Hounslow area of Middx.

 Ann May nee Mumford 1835-1911

Ann Mumford married George Benjamin Green at Norwood Green in 1856. They had 10 children, 5 boys 5 girls.

 Emma Carden nee May 1875-1936 & Elsie Carden 1900-1971

Emma May married Samuel John Carden in 1899.

Elsie May Carden was born 30th Jun 1900


Irene Gladys Carden was born 9th Aug 1901

Emma Carden nee May 1875-1936 had 1 possibly half sister, 2 elder sisters and 1 younger, Ann May b. 1858, Susan May b. 1861 and Edith May b.1881.d.1905

Emma gave birth to a baby daughter Doris Mary in 1903 but sadly she died in 1904. Alongside guessing the age of the children in the photo, I would think that the 2 ladies standing would have been her sister's Ann and Susan.

Emma and Samuel had 3 further children; Frederick Samuel b. 1908 Henry b.& d.1912 and Marjorie Gwendoline in 1914.

At the turn of the century Emma and Samuel had a business partnership with Emma's brother Samuel May and his wife Alice in Heston.

The CARDEN family:
Emma, Samuel, Elsie, Irene and baby Fred

By 1911, the family had moved to 15 Osborne Road in Hounslow.  Samuel has now changed his trade from being a Baker to working as an Electrician for the Railways. Samuel has been reported as strict and 'Victorian' in his attitudes.
Meanwhile Emma embraced family life and would spend time with her sisters and her children until she sadly died in 1936.

 

 Emma with one of her sisters ? Ann or Susan




ELSIE CARDEN 1900-1971

Elsie remained a spinster throughout her life and lived in the family home of 15 Osborne Rd, until her death in 1971. She working for Jobs dairy during her working life.


 IRENE GLADYS CARDEN 1901-1954

Irene married Harold William George Keyworth in 1929. Their first child a daughter (in above photo) was born in 1930 and died in 1937. Their second child, Ian Harold Keyworth was born in 1938


THELMA KEYWORTH, IRENE KEYWORTH Nee CARDEN, MARJORIE CARDEN, EMMA CARDEN nee MAY.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors 52 weeks: Week 10: The Names the Same.

  5 x GREAT GRANDFATHER THOMAS PYE YEOMAN OF BREDGAR  OR  ADMIRAL SIR THOMAS PYE?   My 2x Great Grandfather was George Pye (1819-1855), his eldest brother being  Thomas Pye  of Wrinsted, Kent. My 3x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Charing, Kent. (1787-1833) spouse Maria Cromp(e) nee Weeks My 4x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar, Kent. (1753-1824) spouse Jane Hudson My 5x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar , Kent. (?-1786) spouse Susannah Spencer It is probable that  Thomas Pye  of Lynsted, Kent, was his father, however at present I have been unable to authenticate this assertion. As you can see there are a lot of Thomas Pye’s, but then with family naming patterns there are significant others in and around the area, the sons of brothers, so sifting through the various Thomas’ within the Kent area is a long job. Muddying the waters is  Admiral Sir Thomas Pye  sometimes cited within Ancestry trees as the same man as my 5x Great Grandfather

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &