Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 4. Education

 JOAN EDITH PERRY 

1932-1999

Joan Edith Perry was the middle daughter, of three, born to Percival David Perry and Milly (Millicent Lillian) nee Daines, on the 4th Dec 1932. She is the niece of my Grandfather.

Joan is one of those spinster women, who's story intrigues me, whilst I have found some documented evidence of her story, I know, from family stories, she was a lady that was much travelled. I believe she was part of the Girl Guide movement during the 1940's/50's and trained as a primary school teacher in countries such as India and Afghanistan.

The first evidence of Joan's travel adventures is when she appears on the ship manifest of the Empress of France (Canadian Pacific line), on the 8th Jun 1956 sailing from Liverpool to Montreal, Canada. At this time her occupation was a laboratory assistant.

 www.liverpoolships.org


Her cabin would have been similar to this:

 
www.liverpoolships.org
Tourist class 2 berth cabin.

The next documented evidence is not until 1972, when she appears on the electoral roll for Christchurch in New Zealand. Joan must have been happy in New Zealand as the next document I found was for her 'Naturalisation', on 14th July 1977, Certificate Register 285, Page 119.

Joan moved further north on the South Island, spending the rest of her life in Marlborough, where she continued to educate students at the local school.



Comments

  1. I am enjoying all the family history articles. Joan Edith Perry was an adventurous woman.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 31. Favourite Name.

EUGENIE MARIA MARY CRETON JAY  The Affair: An 1875 engraving shows a man snooping on his wife as she meets with her lover …   This weeks theme is difficult, it is like picking a favourite child. I rather like my 2x Great Grandmother's middle and chosen name, Rosella, but I have already written about her in a previous post:  52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Mothers Day (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)   Incidently my mother said, if she had known the name before I was born she would have chosen it for me. I'm not sure how I would have felt about that as child/teenager. Another name that has drawn me over the years is Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley and whilst she had, in my opinion, a lovely name, she has an interesting story of her own to tell, I have already written her story:  Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley: Sister of Mercy (mypynthdev.blogspot.com) So who have I chosen for this weeks post? Well she does have a nice name, but I have for some reason been drawn to her, since starting my resea

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &