Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2023: Week 1. Would like to meet. Lillie May Kent 1920-1976

Well, after falling by the wayside in 2022, I aim to return to writing posts related to my personal family history. After reviewing some of 2021 posts, I also aim to reduce the number of times I write, 'HOWEVER.' I think it may have been somewhat overused. Perhaps I need to keep a thesaurus handy!

 Week 1. I'd like to Meet.

Thinking on a genealogical level, my first thought was, Auntie Dorrie-the keeper of family stories, the sister of my Grandfather. But looking at this choice realistically and from my own research, perhaps she would not be the most reliable of storytellers. 

I'd also like to chat with my Grandfather and ask him so many questions about his life, so much of which I only uncovered through military records and ships manifestos.

But from the point of view of current 'Mysteries of my family history,' I think I would like to meet my mother's birth mother, my biological Grandmother, who sadly died in the 1970's.

Lillie May Kent 1920-1976 

Lillie was the only child of Arthur Frank Kent and Louisa Lillie Clark. born on the 9th October 1920, in West Byfleet, a small village in Surrey, to the South West of Greater London. Arthur was a 'carman',  according to Hall Genealogy Website: Old Occupation Names Old Occupations - C (rmhh.co.uk) a carman was:-


West Byfleet had a railway station where trains ran by London and South Western Railways, from London Waterloo.

Four days prior to Lillie's 3rd birthday, on 5th October 1923, her mother Louisa died in Brookwood Mental Hospital, Woking. Cause of death was cited as Exhaustion from mania on admission.

Brookwood Mental Hospital, Woking
www.countyasylums.co.uk

It would be nice to know what happened to the young Lillie after her mother's death, who looked after her etc?

The next time I am able to catch up with Lillie aged a few days before her 19th birthday. when the 1939 Register was taken on 29th September.

Lillie is living at Wentworth Lodge, Wentworth Drive in Virginia Water.  She is completing 'daily domestic duties.' for Herbert and Kathleen Alford. Herbert is employed as a 'tractor driver' working at Wentworth Golf Course. On initial search results, there does not appear to be any family links between Lillie and the Alfords. Although at the time of the Register, Lillie would have been approx 4 months pregnant.

In February 1940, Lillie gave birth to a baby girl at Windsor Hospital, at the time of the birth, Lillie  gives her address and occupation as a Ward Maid at the Virginia Water Sanatorium, 'an asylum for the middle class.' Further information can be found within the Lost Hospital of London Website. Lost_Hospitals_of_London (myzen.co.uk)

wellcomecollection.org

Lillie's daughter was adopted by a relatively local couple, in a private but legal adoption. 

As the 1939 register indicates, Lillie was married on 16th Jan 1943, at Staines Registry Office, to soldier, William Henry Seabourne, a pre war Newsagent and some 18 years her senior. At least 2 sons were born to the couple, one in 1943 and another in 1946. Both have since died, but I will leave them anonymous at this time.

I believe that the family lived in the Stanwell Moor area, a village neighbouring the perimeter fence of Heathrow Airport, before moving to the Bognor Regis area of Sussex. Lillie died there at the relatively young age of 55, on 6th July 1976. The Burial register of Bognor Regis shows that she died at Chichester Hospital and the burial taking place on the 9th July. 


It would be nice to have had the opportunity to meet this lady, my biological grandmother. I know my Mum would love to know what this lady looked like, as would I, but it would be nice to have had a chat with Lillie, to find out the lady and her life, behind the written name.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 31. Favourite Name.

EUGENIE MARIA MARY CRETON JAY  The Affair: An 1875 engraving shows a man snooping on his wife as she meets with her lover …   This weeks theme is difficult, it is like picking a favourite child. I rather like my 2x Great Grandmother's middle and chosen name, Rosella, but I have already written about her in a previous post:  52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Mothers Day (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)   Incidently my mother said, if she had known the name before I was born she would have chosen it for me. I'm not sure how I would have felt about that as child/teenager. Another name that has drawn me over the years is Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley and whilst she had, in my opinion, a lovely name, she has an interesting story of her own to tell, I have already written her story:  Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley: Sister of Mercy (mypynthdev.blogspot.com) So who have I chosen for this weeks post? Well she does have a nice name, but I have for some reason been drawn to her, since starting my resea

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &