Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 5/February - Branching out.


BRANCHING OUT.

This week/month I am writing about how branching out, helped me obtain an image of 2x Great Grandfather.

My father was an only child and his parents seperated early in his life, leaving his mother embittered throughout her life. I am sorry to repeat myself here, if you have read my other blog posts where I have mentioned this, but my father really didn't talk about his family and childhood very much. I can hear him now, brushing away any queries, describing them as 'a rum lot.' Talking and meeting with various cousins over the years has helped me understand more about the dynamics within the family. Discovering these cousins, I had obtained images of my grandfather, his parents and of course the wider family. Amongst family photo's I discovered pictures of my father as a child with his mother, his grandmother (my 2x Great Grandmother) on the occassion of her second marriage,but there was a gap - my 2x Great Grandfather: WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS.

I have previously written about William Richard and his first wife Eliza nee Deaney and how of 7 children, only 3 survived to adult and alluded to the breakdown of their marriage, in the Week 12 2021 theme, Loss.

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)

My father did talk about childhood holidays spent with his grandmother and her second husband, Bob, in Bognor and recalled 'bumping into' his grandfather when leaving work and crossing Waterloo Bridge, to get his train home. His grandfather William, introduced Dad to his young daughter Pamela.

With this information, I set about finding Pamela Pitts, but having researched her marriage/s and descendants, there did not appear to be any family tree matches on Ancestry. It was several years later that I found a tree match. Coming from one of Pamela husband's side of the family, the owner put me in touch with a closer to Pamela, family member.

Then came the difficult bit. I get irritated when I receive an Ancestry message with such and such name,will I share my tree?- well maybe if you gave me a bit more to work on.  Because of this, I always take time to try and explain who I am and who the person I am querying and the relationship. Initially I received a rather curt response, I think possibly because I had arrived to them via a third party. So I left it. But that is not the end of the story as a few weeks later I received a further response.

The recipient stated that they were somewhat shocked to discover that the Grandfather they had spent much of their time living with, had been married previously but more surprising to them, was that there had been the previous 7 children. They new the family history related to their grandmother, William's second wife but not William's family. Kindly this new (half) relative, spent time describing their memories of their Grandparents, whereby William became a man, rather than a name, alongside a couple of photo's for me to be able to put a face to the man.

Having stated that I would keep the information that was given to me, out of the public domain, I am afraid I cannot share the latter days of my Great  Great Grandfather's life, nor the image. But it was the process of 'branching out' that bought him to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 31. Favourite Name.

EUGENIE MARIA MARY CRETON JAY  The Affair: An 1875 engraving shows a man snooping on his wife as she meets with her lover …   This weeks theme is difficult, it is like picking a favourite child. I rather like my 2x Great Grandmother's middle and chosen name, Rosella, but I have already written about her in a previous post:  52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Mothers Day (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)   Incidently my mother said, if she had known the name before I was born she would have chosen it for me. I'm not sure how I would have felt about that as child/teenager. Another name that has drawn me over the years is Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley and whilst she had, in my opinion, a lovely name, she has an interesting story of her own to tell, I have already written her story:  Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley: Sister of Mercy (mypynthdev.blogspot.com) So who have I chosen for this weeks post? Well she does have a nice name, but I have for some reason been drawn to her, since starting my resea

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &