Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 47. Thankful

THANKFUL


This has been another theme that I have struggled to write something new about. I could rehash my thanks to all the people who have helped me in my family history journey, but I have already done this periodically within other posts.

I should also count my blessings that I was born, when I was and in a country and culture, which has offerred a good life with many opportunities, not always available to my ancestors or for others living today. 

But out of nowhere a childhood memory of a prayer that we would recite at the end of the schoolday, which does fit with this weeks theme.


I attended the local village primary school in Wraysbury on the River Thames back in the late 1960's. It was in Mrs Wallace's class, Class 8, that at the end of the schoolday we all put our hands together and recited this childs prayer/hymn, before we could all rush out of class and clamour for our coats to make our way home.

I still remember the first lines:- Now the day is over, 
                                                        Night is drawing nigh, 
                                                       Shadows of the evening, 
                                                         Steal across the sky.

Whilst searching for the further verses, I discovered that it was written in the late 1800's by the prolific hymn writer and Lutherian Reverend Sabine Baring Gould especially for children. He also wrote the hymn 'Onward Christian Soldiers.'

The hymn, 'Now the Day is Over,' perhaps resonates with me to this day as it embraces the theme of nature and the natural world. Walking along the beach or the country lanes that surround my home today, give me so much joy and I never cease to be appreciative and thankful to have all this on my doorstep.

The hymn in full:-  

Now the day is over,
Night is drawing nigh;
Shadows of the evening
Steal across the sky.

Now the darkness gathers,
Stars begin to peep,
Birds and beasts and flowers
Soon will be asleep.

Jesus, give the weary
Calm and sweet repose;
With Thy tend’rest blessing
May mine eyelids close.

Grant to little children
Visions bright of Thee;
Guard the sailors tossing
On the deep-blue sea.

Comfort every sufferer
Watching late in pain;
Those who plan some evil
From their sin restrain.

Through the long night-watches
May Thine angels spread
Their white wings above me,
Watching round my bed.

When the morning wakens,
Then may I arise
Pure and fresh and sinless
In Thy holy eyes.

Glory to the Father,
Glory to the Son,
And to Thee, blest Spirit,
While all ages run.

I can only recall verses 1, 2 and 6, so I believe we the daily prayer we related was an abridged version.

I recall Mrs Wallace being quite strict, she wasn't perhaps the most popular teacher but she taught me well and I believe I have followed her example in being firm but fair in my adult and working life. I recall her reading books in the last 30 minutes of the day. I remember stories such as Kidnapped and one called Avalanche, which remains in my memory because it was so boring, or so I felt at that tender age.

I remember that every week we would take in sixpence or a shilling that would go into a small cardboard box for the 'School Swimming Pool Fund.' I never got to see or use that pool, although my younger sister did, in the latter stages of her Primary Schooling.

I recall on a Tuesday and Thursday, there was a Programme on the Radio Musical Movement, when I checked whether my memory served me well, I was pleased to see I had my days right even if the title was a Music and Movement. As not the most co-ordinated child, or adult for that matter, this wasn't my favourite part of the week.

As with many of these Victorian village schools the buildings and playground were eventually sold and converted into housing. I have found a photograph of the Infant part of the school in 1904, from the Francis Frith collection.

and how it looks now.

 

By the time my sister was part way through her Primary education, the old school was closed and the one that is used today was opened, alongside the swimming pool, that we had diligently contributed to.

Looking back at these memories I am so thankful for my childhood upbringing. The village I grew up in, the school I attended, the friends I have made and the family I knew, all contributed to making me the person I am today. Not a perfect person, but a content individual.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors 52 weeks: Week 10: The Names the Same.

  5 x GREAT GRANDFATHER THOMAS PYE YEOMAN OF BREDGAR  OR  ADMIRAL SIR THOMAS PYE?   My 2x Great Grandfather was George Pye (1819-1855), his eldest brother being  Thomas Pye  of Wrinsted, Kent. My 3x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Charing, Kent. (1787-1833) spouse Maria Cromp(e) nee Weeks My 4x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar, Kent. (1753-1824) spouse Jane Hudson My 5x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar , Kent. (?-1786) spouse Susannah Spencer It is probable that  Thomas Pye  of Lynsted, Kent, was his father, however at present I have been unable to authenticate this assertion. As you can see there are a lot of Thomas Pye’s, but then with family naming patterns there are significant others in and around the area, the sons of brothers, so sifting through the various Thomas’ within the Kent area is a long job. Muddying the waters is  Admiral Sir Thomas Pye  sometimes cited within Ancestry trees as the same man as my 5x Great Grandfather

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &