Skip to main content

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 39. Steps. A Cautionary Tale

LOIS SOANES 1828-1917

A Cautionary Tale

For last weeks post I wrote about John Soanes, who in later life was caretaker of Lowestoft model yacht club. This weeks post I am writing about his sister, Lois, daughter of Robert Taylor and Esther Soanes, nee Youell. Esther was the sister of my 3x Great Grandfather William Youell.

Lois' story fits the criteria of 'steps' due to the complexity of her relationships and marriages. She had 5 children from her first marriage, in turn there were 4 half blood step siblings to these 5 children and non blood step siblings too. Lois' story is full of tragedy such that had I not researched this story myself I would have expected Lois to feature as a character in a Catherine Cookson novel (British author who wrote numerous novels of hardship on Tyneside.)

Well this was the story I was intending to write! But I had a mini tragedy all of my own. 

Lois' story is quite long with lots of characters, information and links and has taken a while to write. Yesterday I had reached the point of her second marriage and I was hoping that I could finish this today. However last night I awoke about 5am, usually I would read for a short while and then return to sleep, but having finished my book prior to going to sleep, I thought.... 'I will write a little more of this weeks blog'. Big mistake! Having written a couple of paragraphs I was set to add an image, I hit the wrong key at the wrong time and in a puff of smoke my whole blog post disappearred into the ether.


Now, even in the antisocial night time hours I knew this was not the end of the world, all I had to do was click the 'undo' icon. But whilst my PC was on fire, my own internal computer was in drowsy mode and suddenly the refresh internet page icon in my head morphed into the undo icon. Well that was it. I tried to recapture the page via various  internet suggestions of'How Too's'. Sadly the story remained floating about in internet land somewhere and I have now given up in this one sided game of hide and seek.

So what was to be a blog post about step children has become a post about the steps I will take in order to NEVER (I bet it isn't) lose a story again.

So here are the 3 steps I will remember in future, in no particular order.

1) When I first started writing my blog posts, I would write them using my computer's offline software. This became a bit of a faff, having to copy and paste all the information and then having to go over this ensuring consistent formatting. Now I need to make sure I back up the story I have written, so I do not lose hours of work at the click of a button. Possibly by reversing the process.

2) If things go wrong.... DON'T PANIC! Cognitively I knew all I had to do was click the undo Icon, but in my half asleep and panic state, I was unable to find the correct icon.

3) Never Ever attempt to write anything in the middle of the night! 

Rather than rush to write a blog post that would not give Lois' story the telling it deserves, I have written this cautionary tale, to remind myself of the easy steps I can take to avoid further costly errors.

For anyone interested in reading Lois' story I aim to rewrite and publish it under another suitable blog theme due in a few weeks time.


Comments

  1. We've all been there, hitting the wrong button or icon. You have my sympathies. All we can do is, do better next time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors 52 weeks: Week 10: The Names the Same.

  5 x GREAT GRANDFATHER THOMAS PYE YEOMAN OF BREDGAR  OR  ADMIRAL SIR THOMAS PYE?   My 2x Great Grandfather was George Pye (1819-1855), his eldest brother being  Thomas Pye  of Wrinsted, Kent. My 3x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Charing, Kent. (1787-1833) spouse Maria Cromp(e) nee Weeks My 4x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar, Kent. (1753-1824) spouse Jane Hudson My 5x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar , Kent. (?-1786) spouse Susannah Spencer It is probable that  Thomas Pye  of Lynsted, Kent, was his father, however at present I have been unable to authenticate this assertion. As you can see there are a lot of Thomas Pye’s, but then with family naming patterns there are significant others in and around the area, the sons of brothers, so sifting through the various Thomas’ within the Kent area is a long job. Muddying the waters is  Admiral Sir Thomas Pye  sometimes cited within Ancestry trees as the same man as my 5x Great Grandfather

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &