Skip to main content

SARAH ANN DEANEY nee PITTS

 SARAH ANN PITTS 1883-1952


I am related to Sarah in two ways. She was the sister of my Great Grandfather William Richard Pitts but she also married Charles Deaney, the brother of my Great Grandmother Eliza Deaney.

Sarah was born on the 2nd February 1883, the eldest daughter of Thomas and Esther Pitts nee Jackson. She was baptised at St Johns, Coln St Aldwyns Gloucestershire on 4th March 1883, the family were living at Swyre Farm Cottages, as an Agricultural Labourer, it would be reasonable to assert that Thomas was working at Swyre farm at this time.

As Thomas and Esther moved around the Cotswolds as work took him, so Sarah moved too. By the 1891 census, Thomas and family were living in Aston Blank also known as Cold Aston, living and working at Aston Blank farm. 

The next documentation for Sarah is in 1901, but not the census, I have been unable to identify her there, but on 22nd June 1901, Sarah married Charles Deaney in Brentford Middx. Whilst I have been unable to find Sarah in 1901, Her soon to be husband is with his sister, Louisa and her husband James Butler in Hammersmith, Charles is employed as a General Labourer. So this may explain the move from the rural area's of the Cotswolds and Chilterns, where the families were from.

Their only child, Frederick Charles Edward Deaney was born in the 15th Jun 1902, he was baptised at St Marks, St Marylebone on  the 12th Jun 1904. At this time the family address was 33, Shouldham Rd and Charles was working as a Labourer.

The family must have returned to the Cotswold area as in the 1911 census they are back in the Cotswolds, living in Eastleach, they have a teacher, May Page, boarding with them. Charles continues to work as a labourer.

On various electoral rolls, Sarah and Charles remain living in the area. The 1939 register is the next document that shows the family still living in Eastleach at 31. Eastleach. Their son has married and has a family of his own, but Charles and Sarah are not alone, Sarah's father Thomas Pitts, is living with them. Sarah being the informant of her father's death in 1940 at the same address. However there is also Charles E (Eric) Deaney, born 6th Nov 1918, with them, he is described as 'Mentally Deficient.' Further research would indicate that he was the illigitimate son of Mary Ann Deaney, however this is a salutary lesson as I cannot find the source of this information, reviewing it so many years later.

Nonetheless, Charles Eric was living with Sarah and Charles in 1939.

Another piece of documentary evidence is Sarah being the informant, being present at the death of  her nephew, Walter Pitts, son of William Richard and Eliza Pitts, death in September 1918- cause of death Meningitis.

Sarah died 2 years after her husband in 1952.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 31. Favourite Name.

EUGENIE MARIA MARY CRETON JAY  The Affair: An 1875 engraving shows a man snooping on his wife as she meets with her lover …   This weeks theme is difficult, it is like picking a favourite child. I rather like my 2x Great Grandmother's middle and chosen name, Rosella, but I have already written about her in a previous post:  52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Mothers Day (mypynthdev.blogspot.com)   Incidently my mother said, if she had known the name before I was born she would have chosen it for me. I'm not sure how I would have felt about that as child/teenager. Another name that has drawn me over the years is Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley and whilst she had, in my opinion, a lovely name, she has an interesting story of her own to tell, I have already written her story:  Catherine Sophia Lissa Woodley: Sister of Mercy (mypynthdev.blogspot.com) So who have I chosen for this weeks post? Well she does have a nice name, but I have for some reason been drawn to her, since starting my resea

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &