Skip to main content

52 Ancestors, 52 Weeks: Week 16. DNA

 

DNA


I really don't think my father ever needed a DNA test to prove his father. When my cousin first shared the picture of my Grandfather as a child, I did think it was a photo of my Dad. It is often muted that heart disease and various cancers can run in families. Not only do the photographs show the resemblance between my Dad and Grandad, but the primary cause of my Dad's death was oesophagial cancer, but similarly his father died from throat cancer too. Is this a genetic factor, or could it have been related environmental or lifestyle choices.

So what to write about DNA? It is not really a subject that engages me. Is what makes us who we are, genetic or environmental? My thoughts are such that genetics plays it's part but influence, upbringing and the world around us has at least an equal part in this. But this is looking at the subject of DNA in a broader sense.

So having taken a DNA test from one of the genealogical companies does this help with our own research? To a point it does but conversely it is only as good as other peoples research in pinpointing that errant ancestor. There is not a store of DNA in the archives related to our ancestors, except for archeological remains which may help pinpoint from where in the world we have migrated way back when, but we are still dependant on nuts and bolts research to discover who our 4 or 5 times great grandparent may be. But then again, what if a woman has covered a pregnancy within a marriage or otherwise, with another man. This could lead to a few shocks along the way, but then  you could argue that the DNA route could give a more accurate account of our heritage.

My mother was adopted, we know her birth mother but not her father, maybe we need that conversation, but she isn't really that interested. As more people are being tested so I am finding matches not identified with any of my known paper genealogy,  if Mum had a DNA test it would be easier to work through the possibilities. But what would the purpose be, both parents would be dead? Her birth father like her birth mother would be names on a page, but it is her adopted parents and wider family are those we remember and those that have shaped our lives.





Comments

  1. I share many of your thoughts on DNA used for genealogy. As for finding, or being found by, unknown family, I had two positive experiences with that last year. One was due to having my 90+ year old mother submit her DNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for your comment and your continued viewing of my posts. When Mum next shows any interest in family history, I will broach the subject of DNA testing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors 52 weeks: Week 10: The Names the Same.

  5 x GREAT GRANDFATHER THOMAS PYE YEOMAN OF BREDGAR  OR  ADMIRAL SIR THOMAS PYE?   My 2x Great Grandfather was George Pye (1819-1855), his eldest brother being  Thomas Pye  of Wrinsted, Kent. My 3x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Charing, Kent. (1787-1833) spouse Maria Cromp(e) nee Weeks My 4x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar, Kent. (1753-1824) spouse Jane Hudson My 5x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar , Kent. (?-1786) spouse Susannah Spencer It is probable that  Thomas Pye  of Lynsted, Kent, was his father, however at present I have been unable to authenticate this assertion. As you can see there are a lot of Thomas Pye’s, but then with family naming patterns there are significant others in and around the area, the sons of brothers, so sifting through the various Thomas’ within the Kent area is a long job. Muddying the waters is  Admiral Sir Thomas Pye  sometimes cited within Ancestry trees as the same man as my 5x Great Grandfather

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &