Skip to main content

Margaret Isabella Randolph 1822-1838

Margaret Isabella Randolph was the 2nd daughter and 3rd child of John Randolph (surgeon of Westminster) and his wife William Mary nee Wilson. Whenever I review her story I am always left with an image in my head of the character Beth from the novel 'Little Women.' Probably I am very much mistaken but within this blog post I thought I may try to write something a little different. So whilst I will present all the facts available for her and her husband, Charles Warren Jeanneret, and events that occurred at the time. I will try my hand at a little fiction to fit around their story. 

Any fictional content will be presented in italic script. 

Margaret was born on the 15 July 1822 and she was baptised at New Romney in Kent on 14 August 1822. The birth date being recorded at the time of the baptism. It is an important detail as her age does vary, a year being added at time of her marriage and death.


 
Margaret grew up within her family in New Romney in Kent until sometime between 1830, when her sister was born and baptised in New Romney and 1833 when her father appears in the 'London Royal Blue Book' living at 11 Parliament St, Whitehall. Her father John Randolph became a member of the LSA- Licentiate of  the Society of Apothecaries in 1820, and became an MRCS, Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) in 1827. The move may have been related to the new Westminster Hospital in 1834 and the associated Medical School. King William IV and Queen Adelaide being patrons.


copyright Wellcomeimages V0013809

The New Westminster Hospital was built opposite the Houses of Parliament and close to the Abbey, therefore Parliament Street would have been a convenient address.


Stanford Map of London 1862


Charles Warren Jeanneret  

was born 16th Dec 1811, the son of James Francis LEWIS Jeanneret, sometimes Lewis Francis James Jeanneret and his 2nd wife Sarah Johnson Warren. 

Charles baptism is found amongst the non conformist and non parochial documents available via ‘Ancestry’.

Dr Williams’ Library Registry Birth Certificates 1805-1812

Charles Warren Jeanneret of Westmorland Place, City Rd in the Parish of St Leonards Shoreditch Middx was registered on 12 Feb 1812.

Parents: James Francis LEWIS Jeanneret & Sarah Johnson daughter of Rev Dr John Warren

Witnesses: Charlotte Warren & James Brougham

Born: 16th Dec 1811

BERMONDSEY: Jamaica Row Independent 1781-1829

Baptism:

Charles Warren son of LEWIS Jeanneret and Sarah Johnson of the parish St Leonards, Shoreditch Middx, born on 16th Dec 1811, Baptised, 17th Jan 1812. Minister: John Townsend.

According to later census details Charles’ father was born in Switzerland, which made me wonder whether ther was a Huguenot connection. It was through an internet search trying to marry this information that I found this information from one of Lewis’ descendants which gives a detailed overview of Lewis and his family. I have sought agreement to link the information to this blog.

https://ianjeanneretphoto.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/jeanneret_book-1.pdf


 Margaret’s story:

‘Something’s afoot’ cried William, my elder brother, as he run in from the privy, ‘the sky is orange, and there’s an overwhelming smell of smoke.’

It was the evening of the 16th October in the year of our Lord 1834, we were waiting for Papa’s return from the hospital and Mama was trying to settle the newest member of our family, Mattie.
I ran to look out of the front window and Parliament Street was awash with people making their way to the square. ‘If we hurry, we could sneak out and see what’s happening,’ William loudly whispered to myself and our older sister Catherine. After quickly donning our coats and boots we joined the throng on the street.
We held hands as we followed the crowds and as we were entering Parliament Square there was a loud explosion and a ball of flames that shot from one area of the House of Parliament to another. I was beginning to regret leaving the safety of our home as the crowds jostled and ash and soot rained down from the skies. Looking down Bridge Street to Westminster Bridge it was awash with people as more and more people joined us in watching the spectacle. Many of the crowd were running with buckets of water in a futile attempt to dowse the fire, whilst others were running in and out of buildings trying to save various treasures. Whilst bundles of papers were thrown from the windows in an effort to save the laws of the land, only for less honest members of the crowd to gather as their own or to be trampled underfoot. Not long after that members of the newly formed Fire Engine Establishment arrived.

 JMW Turner The Burning of The House of Lords and                                                                                                 Commons 1834 Google Art Project


All of a sudden a young man in his shirt sleeves appeared in front of us, stating it would be safer if we made our way home. I am ashamed to say, I began to cry. Taking Catherine and my hands and motioning William to follow suit he pushed against the tide taking us back toward Parliament Street and eventually to the safety of our door, no 11. The man knocked loudly on the door for it to be opened by Mama in a blind panic, relief changed the contours of her face as she saw us standing behind trying to hide ourselves from her inevitable wrath. ‘I think these may belong to you.’ the stranger spoke, ‘but I think they have had a bit of a fright.’ I looked up and this Knight in shining armour was smiling down at me, ‘especially this little one!’ 
We were bundled into the safety and warmth of our home and Mary, our maid, took us upstairs and we were scrubbed and dowsed in lukewarm water before being sent to bed with Mama’s wrath ringing in our ears.
The next morning after a stern talking to from Papa, we were told that the Superintendent of the L.E.E.E. Mr James Braidwood, had been the hero of the hour having managed to save the Westminster Hall. He also relayed how lucky we were that we had been helped away from the square as the guards had arrived shortly after we had left to control the crowds. Where even the more affluent had taken their opportunities with pickpocketing rife.

 The Palace of Westminster After the                                                                                                Fire c 1834


 Margaret’s story: One year later

After the adventures of October 1834, having been severely reprimanded by Papa, life in Parliament Street returned to much as normal. Papa would leave for work in the hospital and on his rounds every day. Mama would fill her day with educating us in the niceties of life and caring for the younger ones whilst the maids were busy in the house. But over the next few years I began to feel increasingly fatigued and was prone to coughing fits. Papa ensured I was dosed with cod liver oil throughout the day and the maid would massage vinegar into my chest on rising and retiring to bed. A day bed was placed in the front parlour where I spent most of my days, but I was able to view the hustle and bustle of Parliament Street. It wasn’t too long after this that I noticed my ‘Knight in Shining Armour’ strolling down the street. Perhaps he noticed my gaze but he turned and faced the window, then doffed his tall hat, bowed and smiled, before walking on. This became a daily ritual and I found myself looking forward to seeing him again. 
After a few weeks I noticed him walking up to the house with a small wrapped parcel, Mary, our maid opened the door and I heard a short conversation, before the door closed and Mary came in with the parcel. It was addressed to ‘The prettiest girl in Westminster from an Admirer.’ A blush spread across my face as I read this. Mama was none too pleased when she saw the small box of sweetmeats and the label which I had carefully kept. 
‘Margaret, you are not yet 14 years old, you should not be encouraging such things.’ she chided, but nothing could shake my happiness.
The following day after slowly making my way downstairs and into the front parlour I noticed that the daybed had been removed from it’s position in front of the window. Tears sprung to my eyes. I implored Mama to reconsider it’s removal but she would not hear of such things. ‘Your father has done some investigation, this young man is so much older than yourself and you so young, it isn’t seemly.’ Nothing was to be done and I had to accept that my life, such as it was, would now reach no further than these 4 walls.
My health deteriorated I no longer wanted to leave me bed, I became increasingly listless and now my cough was getting worse. My sisters would take turns in reading to me but even the new tales from Mr Hans Christian Anderson could improve my humour. As I became more unwell so my father ordered more treatments, the worst being, inhaling in an infusion of Turpentine. Although the treatment did in some part improve my physical health, my humours remained low. It was a few weeks later that one afternoon Mama entered my bedroom accompanied by no other than the young gentleman. ‘There’s someone to see you Issy.’ my Mama informed me, using my pet name. Suddenly I felt that the sun was shining and the flowers were blooming once again. The young man offered me a sweet smelling posy which was so welcome to cover the pervading smell of hemlock and turpentine.
Over the next weeks my gentleman caller visited every afternoon bringing some little trinket or enticing morsel even the a new serialisation by Mr Dickens, The Postumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, which he would read me. Over the time I discovered that my beau, had met Mr Dickens as they both  worked in the House of Commons. Charles Jeanneret, my gentleman friend, worked as a clerk in the Journals Office. 

Margaret’s story: 27th May 1837:

Today is such a happy day. If I only felt less exhausted, I would be dancing from the rooftops. I am to be married to Charles. Unfortunately my health has got so much worse, now I am coughing blood fairly regularly. I told Papa that my dearest wish was that I could marry my lovely Charles, and he has spoken with the curate of All Souls, Langham, the banns have been read. Papa has agreed to give me away and with the help of Catherine, my elder sister, will help me walk down the aisle. If I die tomorrow I will be the most happy of brides today.




Charles Warren Jeanneret of the district rectory of All Souls in the parish of Marylebone bachelor
Margaret Isabella Randolph  of same spinster
Married by Banns 27th May 1837
Witnesses John Randolph, Catherine Jane Randolph (likely Grandmother) Jane Mary Anne Parker

All Souls Langham

Margaret's story: 20th Jun 1837:

The King is dead. Long live the Queen. There has been an announcement in the newspapers that King William IV has died at Windsor. His niece, the young Princess Victoria of Kent is to be Queen. Long live the Queen. I hope I survive long enough with my dear Charles, to read of her coronation.

Sadly Margaret did not survive long enough to see the young Queen Victoria’s coronation on 28th Jun 1838, as she died of consumption, less than a week before, on 22nd Jun 1838 in Dulwich. Her maid, Elizabeth Cooper was present at her death.



 A death notice was published in The London Standard on 26th June 1838.



Margaret Isabella Jeanneret was buried at Norwood Cemetery on the 27 Jun 1838, a year after the cemetery opened for internments in 1837.


West Norwood Cemetery by Matt Brown - originally posted to Flickr as West Norwood Cemetery 
                             Gothic Inner gates to the cemetery designed by Sir William Tite. From wikipedia.org

CHARLES WARREN JEANNERET

As previously indicated Charles’ name appears in the British Royal and Imperial Calendars in 1836 and 1837, evidencing his work as a clerk in the Journals office of the House of Commons.





The next documents found, rather strangely, are 2 entries available on Find My Past, and are transcriptions from the Society of Genealogists.

Document 1: Faculty of Marriage Licences for Charles Warren Jeanneret in 1839 on 1st Nov 1839 Brides Name: CHARLOTTE DUDDING

Document 2: Faculty of Marriage Licences for Charles Warren Jeanneret in 1839 on 18th Dec 1839
Brides Name: EMMA WILTON

He did however marry the second bride the day after the licence was obtained.

From the Stamford Mercury 3rd Jan 1840  



The marriage took place at St Mary's Newington, the church associated with Kennington where Charles' father Lewis and his wife lived. From the addresses given it would appear that Emma was staying at her future in-laws at the time of her marriage.

 St Mary's Newington 1827
                                                                                                            British History Online

Unfortunately I haven’t managed to find Charles and Emma in the 1841 census, but in 1842 there are 2 conflicting birth announcements in 1842, where at least one child was born and died. None of which appear to have been registered, so this would authenticate the ‘still-birth.’

The Sun London 10th May 1842: On the 5th inst, at Doddington Grove, Kennington, the lady of C.W Jeanneret, of a son and daughter.


Illustrated London News 9 Jul 1842: On the 4th, the lady of Charles Warren Jeanneret Esq, of the Journal Office, House of Commons, of a son still-born.

Sadly in 1843 another Newspaper Announcement reports the death of Charles, yet another death cert I would wish to access, of course this depends on a Lottery win.



 
Other announcements appeared in the Gentlemans Magazine Vol 19 p547 and also the Court Magazine Belle Assemblee.

It must have been difficult for Charles’ widow Emma, when his will was proved. He had not changed it after the death of Margaret and remarried, leaving everything to Margaret Isabella Jeanneret and any children.  



Transcription: On the 9th day of August 1843 ?Admin with the will annexed of the Goods Chattels and Credits of Charles Warren Jenneret formerly of no 2 Bridge Street Westminster in the County of Middlesex but late of Albury near Guildford in the County of Surrey, Gentleman ? Was granted to Emma Jeanneret widow the relict of the said deceased having been first sworn duly to administer. The Reverend Zachariah ? Warren ? And Robert ? Baines the Executors and universal legatees in trust named in the said will having first ? As well the probate and execution of the said will, as Letters of Administration/ with the said will annexed of the goods of the said deceased, James Francis Lewis Jeanneret, the natural lawful father and next of kin of the said deceased having recounted The Letters of Administration/ with the said will annexed of the goods of the said deceased Margaret Isabella Jeanneret the then wife of the said deceased died in the lifetime of the said deceased without leaving issue by the said deceased (as by Acts of Court appears)

 Following Charles’ death, his widow Emma does not remarry, on each subsequent census return, she is either staying with family or ‘friends’.

1851: with her brother in law Revd Archibald Charles Henry Morrison, Vicar of Longborough, Gloucestershire.

1861: visiting the Revd Joseph Simpson and his wife Mary, Joseph being the Incumbant of the parish of Holme Abbey, Sandenhouse Cumberland.

1871: with her brother William Wilton, GP in Brighton Sussex

1881: again with her brother William Wilton, now described as a Surgeon in Brighton Sussex.

1891: with her niece Rose Wilton in Aldrington Sussex.

On 4th July 1891 the Cheltenham Chronicle has this death announcement:

JEANNERET – May 25 at Westbourne Villas. West Brighton EMMA, widow of Charles Warren Jeanneret, formerly clerk in The House of Commons in her 85th year.

 * All documents crown copyright






 

Comments

  1. A beautiful story that moved me quite profoundly. My own father passed way earlier this year and he would have loved reading this. My wife and I met when she was 13 and we married when she was 19. Forty years on we are incredibly happy.

    Charles Warren Jeanneret was the younger brother of my great great great grandfather Dr. Henry Jeanneret.

    Thank you for sharing the details of Margaret and Charles and also for your story.

    Ian Jeanneret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words and glad the story resonated with you and your wife. I wanted to incorporate actual events that the young couple were likely to have experienced. Because of the young age of Margaret and Charles' will, I did think this was a 'love' match.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 12. Loss. WILLIAM & ELIZA PITTS

This is the story of my Great Grandparents, who experienced so much loss within their lives, not least the death of 4 sons before reaching adulthood and ultimately their marriage to each other. WILLIAM RICHARD PITTS , the eldest son of Thomas and Esther Pitts of Sherborne Gloucestershire, b. 11 Sept 1876 married ELIZA DEANEY , the daughter of Frank and Ann Deaney nee Dean of Holmer Green, Buckinghamshire b. 5 April 1878. From the agricultural rural areas of English countryside by 1900,William  had found his way to London, probably to obtain work. On thE 4th August 1900 William and Eliza were married at Eliza's local parish church in Little Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Little Missenden Church British History Online                                                                                                                                           crown copyright. Married life started in Paddington, in the 1901 census they are living at Hall Place in Paddington, William is working

52 Ancestors 52 weeks: Week 10: The Names the Same.

  5 x GREAT GRANDFATHER THOMAS PYE YEOMAN OF BREDGAR  OR  ADMIRAL SIR THOMAS PYE?   My 2x Great Grandfather was George Pye (1819-1855), his eldest brother being  Thomas Pye  of Wrinsted, Kent. My 3x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Charing, Kent. (1787-1833) spouse Maria Cromp(e) nee Weeks My 4x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar, Kent. (1753-1824) spouse Jane Hudson My 5x Great Grandfather was  Thomas Pye  of Bredgar , Kent. (?-1786) spouse Susannah Spencer It is probable that  Thomas Pye  of Lynsted, Kent, was his father, however at present I have been unable to authenticate this assertion. As you can see there are a lot of Thomas Pye’s, but then with family naming patterns there are significant others in and around the area, the sons of brothers, so sifting through the various Thomas’ within the Kent area is a long job. Muddying the waters is  Admiral Sir Thomas Pye  sometimes cited within Ancestry trees as the same man as my 5x Great Grandfather

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks: Week 14. Great. ANN DEANEY nee DEAN

  Having already written about both pairs of my paternal blood GREAT-GRANDPARENTS. I decided to look at my ancestors who reached a 'great age'.  Although there is no-one who has reached 100, there are several who have reached their 90's. My adoptive Grandmother died aged 96. I am eternally grateful to her doctor who identified 'old age' as the cause of death, with heart failure as a secondary cause. For me, there is something reassurring when you see 'old age' as it implies a life lived rather than disease endured. My Great Grandfather's second wife reached the age of 98, but I am focusing on my 2x Great Grandmother ANN DEANEY nee DEAN , who reached the age of 99. * Note the surname Deaney is often interchanged with the name Daney and documents may be found under either spelling. For the purpose of this blog and ease of reading all sunames are identified as Deaney. ANN DEAN 1855-1954    Ann was the 2nd of 10 children and eldest daughter of William &